Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Project Run and Play--Week 5

Presenting my men's dress shirt remake--Shirt to high waist pants with button placket on the side, with a bonus women's shirt remake as well.
I love how these turned out and how stylish they look.  Sophia wasn't too keen on tucking in her shirt so that you could see the details. 
It all started with this shirt.  I scored this shirt at Goodwill, on their half price Saturday and it still had the tags on.  Plus it was the color I wanted and XL!
 I knew I wanted to try something different and out of the box by turning these into pants. I originally thought I would only be able to get capris because of length issues, but I got lucky and was even able to use the original hem for the bottom of the pants.
I simply centered my altered pattern piece from my go to pajamas pattern (I made it skinnier because I wanted a flat waistband not gathered/elastic) and cut the legs from the front and back of the shirt.  I did have to do some unpicking of the pleat in the back.  Then I cut the waistband from the extra fabric and added the tab by picking off one of the sleeve cuffs.
 The brown buttons it originally came with weren't doing anything for me either, so I switched them out for the white ones.
 As for the shirt, it was a remake of this one, which I think I bought post baby a while back. I liked the fabric (light airy cotton), but didn't like the fit, so I've hung on to it waiting to be inspired.
 It became this shirt.  I cut it down to Sophia's size, saving the eyelet trim from the bottom and then gathering it for a little ruffle on her shirt.  The sleeves I kept the same fullness and gathered them on as well to give them a little something. 
 Just a couple more pictures (I'm learning to include some extras in order to get a good one to crop for the linky party).  Finally some sunshine!

 My favorite one, not because you can see the outfit well, but because you can see Sophia well. 

24 comments:

  1. Sally, you are the makeover Queen!! Awesome job turning that shirt into pants and the "new" shirt is a definite improvement to the old; I would like a shirt like that!! Yay for sunshine; your photos of Sophia are beautiful taken in perfect light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those! I've been struggling with this challenge an you just went all out super creative. You're my hero. You're daughter is adorable and that last picture of her is gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pants are AWESOME, Sally!! Given the fact I NEVER tuck in a shirt, I'm with Sophia on the shirt tucking in....Good thing those pants look spectacular with a shirt IN or OUT!!! Great job from top to bottom :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOOO awesome! What a great idea! And I'm with you on the sunshine! Today was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really great look!
    I'm making pants too, but haven't finished assembling them... LOVE your use of the buttons...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great, Sally...well done!! Very chic. I can't believe you got all that length out of a shirt! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome! Love the panrts and the shirt. Great upcycling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous outfit...the pants are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sally I can't believe you got girls pants out of a men's shirt! Also..I love the button tab across the front! I wish it was warm enough here to go photograph outside...

    ReplyDelete
  10. really good job on both pieces, I'm super impressed that you had enough fabric from the man's shirt to sew tween girl pants!!! bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love those buttons down the side. Soooo appropriate for your daughter's age. That shirt is excellent! I'm officially impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your nice comments! As for having enough to get the length of a pair of pants, I got lucky to find an XL shirt, but my daughter is a very petite 9 year old. It's funny because my other daughter is the complete opposite. Should make clothes sharing interesting in a couple of years:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Great job!! I LOVE the placement of the buttons down the leg as well as the waist band feature.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have never thought to use it as pants! What a makeover! I also adore the more feminine touch you put on the white top. Very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  15. XL is the key! I love the color and I love that you went with pants. I made pajamas and I can't wait to do another refashion

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made 'big girl' pants! Like the others,I would never have guessed there would be enough fabric for that. I love the asymetric look with the buttons too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the pants, it looks like they fit her perfectly and yes you are right, they are so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so so much fun with the buttons up the leg and high waist - I can totally see today's little girl not wanting to tuck her shirt in though - so 'uncool' mom ;op It is great that you have created a top that easily goes both ways ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fabulous outfit in every way! The pants design is genious. I love the shirt, too. Your daughter is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the high waist and button tab detail! Switching out the brown buttons really made this outfit stand out. Really great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some how I missed these. What a great use of the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those pants are amazing! Love the last picture. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...