Friday, March 8, 2013

Sowing While You Sew--Week 8 Skirts

Daisy Chain Creations

This is the post where I usually give you a printable instructions sheet, but there are so many great tutorials out there, that I'd feel like I was kind of re-inventing the wheel.
So I want to come up with a good list of skirt tutorials that would be simple enough for beginner seamstresses to do.  If you have one you want to add, just drop me a note or comment and I'll add it to the list.
To start it off:
Then there is the simple gathered skirt with regular hem...same as lazy day skirt without the ribbon.
And then there is this one made from knit, so it might be a little more challenging.
I just folded a piece of knit in half, with one side being a little shorter.  On the fold, I made a casing in which to thread the elastic, so make sure you leave a little opening and sew it up after you put the elastic in.  The bottom hems, I just used a tight zigzag stitch and stretched it as I went to get the ruffle effect.  I would have them practice this a little before attempting it on the skirt.
Now do you have any suggestions?
As for the charity, the first thing that came to mind is Simple Simon's 'Skirting the Issue' challenge they did last year, with skirts being donated to go to foster children.
I'm kind of hoping they do it again this year.  I'll keep this updated with information about that.

2 comments:

  1. Love the knit skirt! So easy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did the ruffle on the knit skirt! I have not sewn with knits and just ordered some to give it a go. Here are a couple of skirt tutes I have used and like: http://www.hicketypicketyhandmade.com/2011/01/07/no-hem-skirtits-so-easy/
    http://www.houseonhillroad.com/photos/twirly_skirt/index.html
    Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...