Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Project Run & Play--Week 4 "Love is in the Air"

Presenting 'Love is in the Air', my creation, well actually, Sophia and my's creation for Project Run and Play Week 4.
Sophia has a sock hop coming up at school, so we created this circle skirt (thanks to Dana Made), that has a Valentine feel, but will work great for the sock hop as well.
First we started by dying a bunch of white fabrics. It was kind of an experiment to see what would take the dye the best.  Interesting that the broadcloth (bottom middle) and the striped fabric cut from a pink shirt that was bought with next weeks challenge in mind, but not going to use, took the dye the worst.  I liked how the polka dot fabric (from week 2's outfit) took it the most vibrant along with the doilies.
Here's the layout of the hearts.  I then backed each with Wonder Under and ironed them on to a simple white muslin circle skirt.  From there the idea was that Sophia would practice some sewing and do the zigzag around.  I underestimated the willingness of a 9 year old, so I ended up doing most of it.  I then used my rolled hem foot for the hem of the skirt.  I also added a contrasting tab in the same aqua fabric from week 2 to cover where the elastic comes together (forgot to get a picture of that).  Then I added the doily and extra little heart.  We also added a doily and heart to a simple grey t-shirt as well to complete the look.
It is going to be a great skirt for the sock hop.  She had fun twirling in it.  The little underskirt thing was something I had made for another sock hop she went to a couple years back.  It's just a gathered white skirt with a couple rows of gathered tulle.

 I had wanted to go to the red caboose in our neighborhood for this photo shoot, but it was raining once again when I wanted to take pictures!  I'm getting tired of it!
 Just a fun view of the complete circle with the different hearts. 

11 comments:

  1. That is a very fun skirt. And I love when I am able to combine another "must sew" with a PRP project. It always makes me feel so efficient. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun skirt with a great twirl factor! The gray shirt sure makes the doily and heart pop and i think every outfit is more cute with a denim jacket. I am sure Sophia will have fun at the sock hop and everyone will want to know where she bought that skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you used various textures (or so they seem) of fabrics for the hearts....It gives the skirt such dimension! Ohhhh, and the spinability is fabulous!! Have fun at the sock hop, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all those different hearts from different dyed fabrics! Such a cute skirt and perfect for a sock hop. I bet it took awhile to do all the stitching around the hearts. That is my least favorite part of doing appliqué work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughters would flip over a skirt like that! Twirly + hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what sock hop is, but this skirt is so pretty and fun, would be great anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the great big hearts are so great - and I love that each one is different! have fun at the sock up... I remember the poodle skirts my mom made me and my sister with layers and layers of petticoat underneath when we were in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this spinner skirt, especially those motion shots! And a sock hop!? Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the skirt! I bet your daughter loves to make it twirl! The large hearts are a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! Love the last picture too. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...